Wednesday 22 September 2010

The Google Way - Doing illegal things legally...

Couple of weeks back when I logged into my gmail box, there is a box popped out and said "Hey Dude! We introduced a new feature... Have you checked out? If not so just click the red link at the top right corner." The link says "New! Priority Inbox Beta". My friends buzzed already about this... Hey man, we already watched it and liked it; how about you?




I just clicked that link and google provided an youtube video they uploaded. It says "The spam filter is the best one (I don't understand why still I am getting spam mails from the unknown with the names of my address book). Even though you will be getting a lot of mails (a lot of junk in my inbox rather than in junk mail folder). Let us sort it for you. We will sort it based on the frequency of the type of mails you will be sending, the persons from whom or to whom the mails are received or sent. We sort it for you for free of cost... That means a personal assistant for no cost... (James Bond will say, let sexy Money Penny to do the things even she is costlier to hire to be a secretary.) Hurry click on the 'Try it Now' button."

But... Wait a minute... Reading my mailing pattern... Isn't it a illegal thing to read the other's mails or mailing pattern? Isn't it peeping into my privacy? The questions popped out in my mind and I just clicked "Dump your ideas Google..." (No button obviiously). I explained my friends how it don't work for me... I am getting a forwarded mail from my friend with a subject "Job Opening for freshers" and I am forwarding it to my other friends; whomever is having any siblings falling in that category and I am getting some replies from my friends with the same subject line. Now google reads this subject line and keeps it in it's database. And based on the keyword of the last mail chain, the "Priority Inbox" will sort my mail. Now I am getting a spam advertisement from some unidentified source, what google will do? Based on the keyword, it will sort the spam in my "Priority Inbox" instead of the spam mail folder.

You got it... Again coming back to the persons in touch; the people to whom I am frequently mailing and from whom I am receiving the mails from also will be read and stored. Based on this pattern also I'll receive the mails into my Priority mail box. If the mail is from a real genuine user, that is ok. Even now too I am getting mails from spammers with the names from my address book, the priority inbox will increase the chance of the spammers to use the name vigorously to put the mails in my Priority Inbox with the genuine names. In this case, my real mailbox will be filled by the spams with genuine names and keywords.

I then asked my buddies "What's your take? It is your choice to use the Priority mail box but before that just read the terms and conditions of Google. Because if you are accepting the priority mail box, you are accepting that Google can do whatever it want to do with your mail content and address book that is really a legal security breach."

So friends, What's your take? I'll definitely come with more google way of illegal things in future.

Signed



The Techno Dork

No comments:

Post a Comment